Monday, June 15, 2015

Design Presentation

Shortly before my husband and I were married, he began working nights for the Utah County Sheriff's Department. Across the street from were he worked was a bagel shop. I loved meeting my husband there when he worked and we would get toasted bagels with schmear on them. In looking for advertisements, I was immediately drawn to Elaine's Bagels and reminded of the little bagel shop that my husband and I visited often. The two advertisements that I chose to compare are very different in the aspect of Gestalt principles, but the good one has a much better design to it.

The Good


The design principles in this advertisement are very good. This design uses the Law of Pragnanz, showing the bagel in its simplest form. There is no question that they are trying to sell a bagel. I feel that because of the shape of the bagel it uses the Law of Continuity. It implies a continual motion around the bagel leading the viewer around the bagel. The  merging of the bagel and the onion also uses the Law of Closure. This helps the viewer see the two as one. By looking at this image, I immediately know what this bagel is going to taste like. I am tempted to go out and buy a bagel, after seeing this advertisement. This design is very well done.  It is simple and to the point.

The Bad


This design gives me anxiety, because it is too busy. It is somewhat confusing as to what is exactly being advertised. There is no similarity, it is not simple in its design, and I feel like there is no closure. I feel distracted and uneasy about the message they are trying to get across. Although there is a theme that is used, I feel that there is too much going on with the typography and it does not feel harmonious. In comparison to the first image, I do not get the same feeling of knowing what this bagel will taste like. I also feel that the first image is well balanced, unlike this one. Also in comparison, the contrast in the first image tells that it is a bagel, and is onion flavored. There is also contrast seen in the shadow of the bagel, making me feel like it is sitting on my kitchen cupboard. In this image, I have a hard time placing this somewhere. I am also distracted by a couple of objects that are cutoff at the bottom of the image. It is hard to determine what they are and how they relate to the bagel. I am also bothered by the fact that the entire image is not in focus. Whereas in the first image, I am able to feel and sense the texture of the onion bagel.


Designer Information:
Matt Sicko has been designing advertisements for many popular brands and companies for several years. Some of his clients have included Jeep, Mazda, Lowe’s, Duraflame, Amtrak, and Toyota. He has been involved in campaigns for automotive dealerships, retail products, and outdoor product brands.

He has been employed at several advertising agencies, but is currently employed as the creative director at Cramer-Krasselt. Matt graduated from Oakland University in California. He has had work showcased in the Archive Magazine and also in the One Show Creative Showcase. Matt has won awards from several places including Communication Arts Advertising Annual.



Matt's advertisements for Elaine's

Bagels was featured in the September 2009
Communication Arts Exhibit.

No comments:

Post a Comment